Monday, December 1, 2008

Featured Mom-preneur: Jackie Hernandez of Tiny Décor


Most moms remember the moment when they were faced with the impossible decision to stay-at-home or return to work.

Our latest featured Mom remembers 'her' moment well. She dreamt of doing something that would allow her to be at home with her son full-time. Taking her passion for fabrics, design, the environment, and her desire to create, she jumped in. It all started with a blog and a loving husband at her side…

Learn a bit more below about Jackie Hernandez, owner of Tiny Décor, and also this week's creator of our Cuddle of the Week! We hope you'll find her as creatively cool as we do.

1. Tell us a little about yourself, your family, and/or your business.
When my son turned 6 months old I decided to leave my corporate job and stay at home full-time with him. Around the same time my husband and I started daydreaming about Tiny Décor. Once I was at home with the baby, who took long naps at the time, it wasn't long before daydreaming turned into reality. I started the Tiny Decor Blog about eco-friendly baby products and we launched the Tiny Décor Boutique and Etsy Shop. I love making the products and spending time with my son (who is now 15 months old). I can think of no better business partner, than my ever supportive husband.

2. If you had to describe your business in less than 15 words, how would you do it?

Our goal is to help eco-minded parents create naturally modern kids rooms.

3. What is your inspiration for your business? Your products?
I am truly inspired by the fabrics I work with. I search at length for hand-printed organic fabrics that are suitable for the nursery, but can live on in any room of the home. Our current fabrics include designs by Mod Green Pod and Kirin & Co. The products are inspired by parenthood and the need for things both beautiful and functional. It can be difficult to find modern, affordable, eco-friendly products for the nursery and we aim to change that.


4. What is the most rewarding thing about being a mom? A mom-preneur?
I love my son's laugh and his spirit. He always brightens my day and I cannot imagine a day without him. Being a mom-preneur has given me the amazing opportunity to work from home and see my son almost all the time. I get to see him and my business grow day by day. Raising a baby and starting a business are the same in a lot of ways...they both require a lot of nurturing.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering becoming a mom-preneur?
To be realistic about your goals and the amount of time you can commit. My number one priority is my son, but I have found a way to fit in work time early in the morning, during nap times, and late at night so I can spend as much time with him as possible. Setting short-term goals has been really helpful for me to stay focused during the time I do have to work.

6. What keeps you motivated?
I have two big goals; to stay home to raise my son and to build a successful business. The two motivate each other, because building a successful business allows me to stay home with my son and being a work-at-home mom allows me the flexibility to build my business.

7. What is your next big goal?
In the next few weeks I am launching my own line of screen-printed art which is my main focus right now. But we really want to start a small line of sustainable kids furniture including toy boxes, bookshelves, and play tables.

8. What is your guilty pleasure?
Taking time away to read design blogs, magazines and to watch HGTV.


9. Name a product that you can't live without, for you or your baby?

My favorite all-time baby product is still my Stokke stroller. Early in my pregnancy I was very very sick and my husband surprised me with the stroller. He got it in my favorite color, turquoise. We use it to take the baby everywhere. We have tried other strollers during travel, but we always miss the Stokke.


10. What is the most valuable lesson you have learned as a mom {so far}?
Patience. I know it sounds obvious, but I never realized how much my patience would be tried. As a mom you have to be patient with baby, patient with yourself, and patient with your spouse.

Where to find Jackie Hernandez
Shop handmade, originals on Tiny Décor Handmade (Etsy)
Outfit your entire modern, eco-friendly nursery from the
Tiny Décor Boutique
Get inspired by Jackie's original, virtual designs in the Nursery Design Guide
Read about eco-friendly nursery design on the
Tiny Décor Blog


No comments: